Monday, February 15, 2010

I'll have Mine Buttered

Sometimes I meet a new lot of people and I find, in listening to their lives, my world seems very minuscule in comparison. If I were to dress for the part I'd be wearing hessian sacking and chewing on a blade of grass, vacant well-meaning expression on my face. A lot of this comes from spending so much time on the 'inside'. So, I'm trying to broaden some of my exterior horizons. I'm doing German at night school and tonight I went to my first Toastmasters meeting. I'll admit I was scared. I was worried it would be a secret handshake kind of society full of very odd people. Well woman, what was it really like? Ha, ha I'll never tell. By the sign of the sacred five pointed cross, it shall remain forever secret!
Na, not really. Look, everyone was very nice. They don't exactly appear a rollicking lot but on the other hand they did have a sense of humour and were very down to earth. I got to hear lots of short speeches and reassuringly they weren't all brilliant. I'm going to go again at any rate. Perhaps the hooded cloaks will come out next time: I'll let you know. In the meantime for the sake of learning how to give a great speech with confidence or how to run a a formal meeting seamlessly and quickly, Toastmasters seems to have it buttered.

No comments:

Post a Comment