Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Simpatico Problemo

Other peoples words can get in your way when you are writing. As a writer, it is important (they say) to read,and though I struggle to find the time, I do try and do that. I mean hey, I love to read and it's even better when it is 'strongly recommended' that I do so. If I must!
There is one large problem that I have found with that: Everybody writes with their own 'voice'. Fair enough BUT I am an empathic kind of person; if I meet someone with an accent, I find I pick up some of the accent speaking to them. If I watch a dramatic movie, I can be stressed for days. Hence if I am reading Jane Austen, I am horrified on reading back my writing from the day before that I am trying to use Jane Austen's voice to write with. Don't get me wrong, Jane's is a lovely voice, but it's not mine and stands out like gherkins and ice cream.
So, if I am making the journey of writing a novel, I now try to check my mental shoes to see what I may have trodden in before I traipse back into writing my book.I have really found it best for me to work with a mental doormat.

NOTE: I am not in any way comparing Sense and Sensibility to dog poo.

No comments:

Post a Comment