Monday, April 5, 2010

Chocolate Holidaze

Thank goodness daylight savings is now over and I can (fairly) effortlessly rise at 5am to write. How else to continue writing in the school holidays? 5am till 10am after which my children are definitely up (the teen one just) and about and I can happily focus on them.
Not to regret the past but when I think of holidays gone, when I felt I had no time to myself- what I weak sap I was! Then again the last holidays were the summer ones and the cicada's begin to drill into your head at a much earlier hour. This cool weather helps keep the kids in bed, under their doonas so that I, puffy-eyed and clutching a cuppa, can have fun on the keyboard- everyone is happy!
Happy Easter to all by the way!
For me, Easter is a time when I try to replace Spring images with Autumn and harvest ones. We hang Easter eggs on a vase full of bare branches ( a nod at my German heritage where they hang the eggs from pussy-willow branches bursting with velvety catkins) I put out wooden eggs and chickens and we have an Easter egg hunt of course. It's done outside so we don't accidentally kill one of the dogs (would definitely put a downer on the festivities) by leaving a few accidentally for them to find. I'm sure we've left the snails a few giving them something other than my seedlings to eat for a few days.
Its a relaxing break where the house smells of toasting/burning hot-cross buns and we go see a family movie together. At night we toast marshmallows over coals in the chiminea under the stars (getting too cold for mozzies- hooray!) and all rub at our chocolate congested bellies. AND I certainly contemplate how lucky we are to enjoy all this. Here's cheers bunny ears!

No comments:

Post a Comment