Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Editing Sickness


All this editing and rewriting has given me a terrible and woeful illness. My eye is so trained at looking for the multiple grammatical errors in my work, that everywhere around me, I keep spotting them.
I realised the extent of my illness, when a friend showed me a photo invitation to an engagement party. Above the party details were some words that had been romantically scrawled into the sand- "Will you marry me Lisa", with a love heart at each end. All I noticed was an absent question mark!
Similar things keep happening all over the place- shop signs, school notes. It's a terrible illness I tell you.
It made me appreciate what it might be like to be an editor. After an hour of being out and about in public, you would be on your knees begging the world to please dot their i's, and begin a new paragraph, goddamn it.

"Hi, my name is Natalie and I'm an Editor"

No comments:

Post a Comment