Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Rockin' Writer's Bod (or attempts to that end)


A phrase keeps popping into my head. Actually it is the title of a book at work- “The Practice of Writing.” It clanged a really big bell in my head because, to write well, one must actually write and if I do not do it every day, then I will not improve.
I think a writers mind (or anyone creative) is like a body. By writing every day I take this body for some exercise, which builds tone and muscle and feels pretty good too. Sometimes I wonder just from writing each day how I will get better at it, with no other input. Well somehow I do, but like a body, there are definitely other factors involved- good food, fresh air, sunshine, laughter, conversation with others, spirituality, love. These are things my physical body needs. As a writer, my brain body translates these things as: reading great books and books on writing, jotting down fresh ideas into paper. Keeping a sense of humour, doing things that make me laugh, doing things that inspire like going for a walk and appreciating the beauty around me (seems easy in the greener areas but in the city I marvel at the history and atmosphere and also the cleverness of architects and trades people). Getting together with like minded people for a brainstorm- always gives me a recharge, noting conversations around me: listening to the structure and tone and emotion and grinning over peoples gorgeous accents from wherever. Doing what I love (easiest way of living in the moment)and getting out in nature is spiritual for me. And having people who love me support me, and me doing the same in turn and the lovely feeling that giving freely, gives back.
So I think that whilst writing every day can give you a rockin’ writers bod (still working out here), the life that you expose that body to, is a vital part of total writing health too.
As Richard Simmons said "Get up and squeeze..."

No comments:

Post a Comment