Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Basket of Goodies

For me , going for a walk is as good as going shopping with a basket on my arm, to the story tidbit shop.
This morning by the end of my walk I had these in my mental bag: Looking up at the sky I saw a moth fly over my head, a bird higher up fly over it and above them all a plane. They all crisscrossed on different levels in that second I looked up- an amazing treat!
Walking past houses I smell lovely shampoos, deodorants (male and female), coffee. I smell cigarettes and car exhaust. I stop and talk to a neighbour for a moment, trying to discreetly hold a bag of warm squashy dog-poo (yes, gross!) by my side. A toddler in pajamas greets me from his front lawn( "He-woh.") Dogs call from behind gates and fences- " Good morning!" " Go away, you're trespassing!" "Can I come for a walk too?!" The golden autumn sunlight gives even the shabbiest tree a glowing aura. I notice an abundance of purple and blue flowers in bloom. March = Purple? I see students swarming from every street to catch the bus and catch up on gossip.
I get home after only 15 or 20 minutes, my legs are stretched, my mind is stretched and it's all systems ready to be planted in a seat and set about some writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment