Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Stephen King on Writing

There have been so many times I have heard Stephen King quoted on writing skills, that the other day I purchased my own copy of his book on writing.
I guzzled up the whole thing yesterday.Wow! Zap! Pow! ;-)
I learnt so much about writing skills and discipline. And, I learnt a whole lot about the man himself, about his life, and how he came to be interested in his writing genre. And since it was all told by him, it was a bloody fascinating read!
The book is divided up into parts. The first is called CV and is the story of his life growing up, both funny and traumatic, including his early love of writing and fascination with horror and science fiction.
The second part is called 'Toolbox' and literally discusses the tools used to write. The third is on writing itself and the last is the story of his experience being hit by a van in 1999, and his slow recovery from the terrible injuries he received. Oh, there is actually another final piece; a great little short story by the winner of a competition by Hodder and Stoughton and chosen by Mr King.
After reading this book, I had a bagful of gems on my lap and a deeper appreciation of my own love of writing. I could give you any of his quotes, but instead, if you love writing, in particular novels, I urge you to read his book yourself.
I will say that one of the greatest gifts I received from it was quite hilariously one thing I have been seeking in earnest of late- permission to do what I love. OK, I'm going to quote him after all:
'If you feel you need permission to do all the reading and writing your little heart desires, consider it hereby granted by yours truly.'

Thankyou Stephen, that's all I needed to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment