Thursday, October 29, 2009

Ballgowns and Badly-Drawn Cars


Yesterday I had a lot of fun doing an illustration for one of my own stories. I'm happy with the style and will begin the next one today after I come back from finding 'the dress'. Let me explain. This Saturday night I have a Children's Book Council dinner to attend, the main purpose of it being to network. Excellent. As I am a new person to the industry I would like to stand out. But not in a Barbarella way. Something that is very me (a paint-spattered drop-sheet?) yet stylish. Not one of these maxi-dress things that are all the rage at the moment. It would be trailing along the ground as I am height challenged. Plus they look like you need to accessorise with a giant clam-shell sunhat, oversize sunglasses and a pastel crocheted clutch bag. No, I will be looking for something feminine without too many body parts escaping. Something dashing yet demure. Something respectable yet fire-engine red. Gosh I hope Big-W can deliver the goods.


For a story I am writing at the mo, I need some cosmic education ( "Do or do not...there is no try."). I mean literal education about the universe ie star, planets, Magellanic Clouds (I just had to say that, it sounds so cool) etc so I looked up the details of my local observatory where you can go visit. They seem like a, er, secret handshake kind of group and I'm a bit scared but it should be very enlightening. I have to go and do regular romps to expand my creative mind. I am also going out to sketch cars soon as my pictures of cars all look like wooden block vehicles. Very sad- what a girl! Yet ironically I cannot do shoes well either. Need to work on that too. I will share something actually useful. I found the most excellent book for helping draw people. It was a source book for comic artists with figures photographed in every pose imaginable. Sorry I don't know the book author but there are several types of this thing around and I will be buying one.

Now, it's off to conquer the world, but I need my little cup of hot tea first.

No comments:

Post a Comment