Friday, October 23, 2009

Making a Children's Picture Book Using Blurb


In typical hirdy-girdy style I am going to leave the road of chronological order and lift the stripy tent flap of fun stuff instead. So today instead of telling you about my trip to an accountant where I was struck dumb with imcomphrehension, I am going to tell you how I got to make a single beautiful book using free Blurb software. And hey, Blurb company people out there, if a massive excited herd of writers and illustrators rush to use your software after my Blog today, i am happy to give you my bank details.

So, once apon a time a lady wrote a children's book and came up with some far-out groovy illustrations for it to boot. She hadn't sent it off to a publisher yet, but she really wanted to see what it would look like as a book, for the purposes of gratuity and self-confidence. Luckily this talented and witty, fun and ambidexterous lady had a friend who had produced a small quantity of books showing off her beautiful wares. I will get a crack over the skull if I don't explain her wares are textile prints. Actually, let's get Kristen to blush a little here whilst I give her a plug. Come on down Kristen Doran of Kristen Doran Design. Kristen is the graphic artist friend I am very lucky to have and whom with her skills and networking has really helped me out loads of times. She doesn't need my plug as she is already quietly famous. I believe she may be asked to make a sheath for the Opera House in her latest fabrics. You can see her beautiful gear at http://www.cheekybeaks.blogspot.com/ Hey, everyone come back! You're not meant to go look now............Great! Now theres just the two of us. Oh well, I'll tell you. So that friend of mine beginning with K had made a book using Blurb. What is Blurb? Blurb is a free software you download and make up your own book, using pictues and or text and then you order it and they print it and ship it to you. It is ideal for photo's and is a great way of making a photo album without printing out all those pictures. So in my case we scanned my illustrations and using the bluprints on the software, you just kind of fill in the gaps. It's that simple. Well it was that simple for me because Kristen did most of it. But it really is pretty easy. To make up one soft-cover 36 page full colour childrens picture book measuring 20 x 25cm and have it posted to me cost about $35. Now, obviously if you want to sell these books it is not really cost effective but the ability to print up one book is priceless, I mean you should have seen the grin on my face when I beheld my book for the first time. It was a kodak moment, everything was in slow motion with a frosted lens, I spun around, my book held high in the dappled sunlight....It was great stuff. And it's worth it for the confidence and experience. It makes getting published by a publisher seem that much more possible PLUS it's an invaluable advertising tool. I just printed up another 10 (cheaper this way @ about $26 ea) books to sell at a Children's Book Council dinner. I'll be selling them at a loss, but it will get my book great exposure and as I said earlier, it's all about networking.

So check it out yourself http://www.blurb.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment