Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A Jolly Good Luncheon- Hooragh!

Today for my birthday I had a Wind in the Willows picnic down by my favourite bit of river. I have long loved the book and always remembered rat's wonderful description of the contents of his luncheon hamper to Mole. I had to do a few small vegetarian adjustments for those of us that way inclined (it is no surprise there is no vego equivalent of tongue) and I admit I added blackberry tarts and clotted cream to our hamper and a pot of tea. It really was a magical morning to be out rowing among the moorhens and dab chicks with no-one else about and the sun sparkling on the water. We followed it up with glorious swim further upstream where the sea is not far away. Once again we had the river to ourselves except for the hundreds of baby Taylor, Bream and Flathead (I think. I know they weren't white pointers and that's all I cared about). We finished with our delicious picnic under a tree in the sun. Superb. Thanks for the inspiration Mr Grahame!

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday Natalie! I am loving reading your blog, you have my dream job. Yesterday I took my sons to see the ASC's production of The Wind in the Willows in the Botanic Gardens. A magical poduction that the boys adored, we highly recommend it if you can get into the city to see it. Emma

    ReplyDelete