Saturday, December 5, 2009

Description Drugs

When I'm in writer mode, what I see and what I hear (and if I'm good, what I smell, feel, taste and sense) is all recordable for future use in writing. It's like hold up an all-recording microphone to the world. If I'm in a strong mood, I can try and train that emotion to come out the end of a pen. Of course some moods are better taken with the dogs for a walk around the block!
I find, for me, music is a great muse. I can't yet write and listen to music with lyrics but I can listen to music,, fill my 'cup' to brimming and then go pour it into writing. Seeing a movie is also powerful inspiration and probably why I like soundtracks- a convenient way to recapture a mood in the comfort of your own home. Cinematic take-out.
Whatever drug works for you, you're sure to get addicted and suffer all the highs and lows of being on them. It can be hard to have a regular life under the influence. You can spend a lot of your time in your own head, pen poised over paper, while your body goes through the motions of family and home life. And I don't want to be a zombie to my family. I guess you have to learn to just engage and disengage. But it is really hard when you're on those damn description drugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment