Monday, December 7, 2009

Noice Voice

I've been thinking a lot about my voice recently. Not the voice that people would tell you goes on and on a bit too much, but my writers voice. Who is she? Does she also use a posh phone voice?

When I was doing a lot of art I would think about my style and wonder what the heck it was. I had lot's of different styles. Now that it's writing which I have in a headlock, I am looking for my writers voice. I thought about the things that I have written, whose quality surprised me; a piece that was pretty good and astonishingly had been written by moi. I like her. Is that my voice?

There is quite a bit of advice on the Internet on this subject but I thought I'd glean the suggestions of one Holly Lisle ( www.hollylisle.com ) who listed ten things to help find your voice. I will use literary latex and paraphrase a bit here. Ahem.........This may be a bit muffled behind the rubber mask..........

1. Read a variety of books and do it a lot.Read in and outside your usual.
2. Write all genres to give everything a whirl.
3. Try writing as different fave authors.
4. Play games- give yourself lots of fun writing exercises.
5. Challenge your preconceptions to know yourself better.
6. Dare to be Awful
7. Write your passion
8. Be controversial and write about things that shock your inner critic
9. Don't be complacent- if your stuff isn't challenging it's not happening.
10.Write through your fear- say it anyway.

I like this quote too " ....the only thing in the universe that readers cannot get anywhere but from you is...you."

Well, I'm off to find her. I hope she has better typing skills than I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment