Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Post from the Hideout

I'm blogging today from a secret hideout. Really, I'm at home but the family has gone away for a few days and I have pulled down the blinds and taken the phone off the hook. It's WRITING TIME! It's day two now and what have I achieved so far? Plenty on the writing front. On the non-writing front I have eaten half a mud cake (to tidy the fridge), chased chickens round the yard and watched Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. What came of this, in order was: feeling ill, catching our mystery egg thief and writing passionate but mediocre poetry. The egg thief turned out to be a large blue-tongue, caught mid-mouthful right in the chicken's nest. It could do little but wriggle and blow furious egg-yolk nose bubbles at me as I relocated it. The movie was good.Possibly I'm a bit thick but it was one of those movies where for the first half hour you're thinking "Huh?" and then finally " Oh, right." for the middle bit and a knowing " Ahhhh." at the end. Clever movie, slightly dense viewer.
On the writing front I spent several hours listening to music for my books so I could make up an inspiring sound-track for my novels. This was really great and I came up with a dozen new parts for the stories as I went along. I sure hope I get to do the soundtrack when they make a movie out of these books!!! Doing three novels at once is like doing three large jigsaws but more fun and less frustrating. Since the stories are just a pile of notes so far I decided to blu-tac my plot onto the hallway wall to see what we had so far. This was really great as I am a very visual person. I have heard other authors draw plot lines and others plan it all out on cardboard but I found this method worked for me though I will have to relocated it to my bedroom or somewhere more private before the family return. Or perhaps sooner as my critiquing buddy is over in a few hours and though I don't mind her seeing it but it feels a bit like having your knickers out to dry. I'm not ready to show my polka dot numbers to people just yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment