Sunday, December 27, 2009

Home Again, Home Again, Jiggetty Jig


Well, I'm home. It's a rainy old morning out there, perfect for writing.
My beachside Christmas is a warm, sunny memory; the sand in my luggage and the sunburnt shoulder are still current! It was strange to come home to a cacophony of excited doggies and clutter after a week of basic necessities and nothing but the sound of waves breaking. It all just seemed too much, too stripey, too decorated, too chaotic. Like a fluorescent checkerboard old cardigan- comfortable but shocking to the eye. Between that experience and reading Walden, my New Year resolutions are already under way. Aside from my writing and publishing aims, they include growing more of my own food, consuming less, being more by being less, and other such vague and well meaning phrases about keeping it simple.

Aside from the general enjoyment of my holiday I had two things happen that were very exciting whilst away. One was on the first morning I headed off to the nearby beach around 6:30 to do some writing in peace. I was also looking for some particular inspiration as the beach looked stormy, though still. The only other person around was a fisherman and we were both treated to a lovely show of two dolphins slowly sweeping the bay. Apparently they are commonly seen in the area but it was the only time I saw them on my trip and was a wonderful thing to experience. The other thing was getting a text to say a book I had illustrated (self-publisher) had come back from the printers and would be there to see when I returned. And now for some show and tell (see above coz I can't get the darn thing to go here *^# stupid technology challenged #^#*! Grrr. Relaxing holiday wearing off already........

No comments:

Post a Comment